The Forth Bridge, Firth of Forth. c. 1920. Drypoint. Dickins 50. 5 5/8 x 8 1/16 (sheet 7 1/2 x 12 5/8). A rare, early trial proof, before additional drypoint work on the bridge arches, warships and buildings, and before the barrage balloons in the sky were added. Proof before the edition of 100 published by H.C.Dickins. Printed on cream laid paper. Initialed by the artist in pencil; annotated 'Not for sale' in another hand. $750.
Warships are in the harbor. Barrage balloons are added in the published state.
The Forth Bridge is a cantilever, railway bridge over the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland, to the east of the Forth Road Bridge, and 14 km (9 miles) west of central Edinburgh. It is often called the "Forth Rail Bridge" to distinguish it from the Forth Road Bridge. The bridge connects Scotland's capital Edinburgh with the Kingdom of Fife, and acts as a major artery connecting the north-east and south-east of the country. Described as "the one internationally recognised Scottish landmark", it may be nominated by the British government as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
British Fine Prints.
Allinson Gallery Index.
To order, for more information or to be placed on the email list, contact Jane Allinson (email@example.com).