Mytton Hall. 1859. Etching and drypoint. Schneiderman 19.iii/v. 4 13/16 x 10 5/16 (sheet 5 3/4 x 10 15/16). As published in Études à l'eau-forte XXIV. Illustrated: Guichard, British Etchers, 1850-1940. An extremely rich impression printed on fine laid paper. Signed in the plate. $750.
Mytton Hall is a fifteenth century mansion house situated on the River Ribble, at Whalley near Blackburn, Lancashire. Haden used to stay there when he went salmon fishing.
R. Gutekunst, the dealer who inherited the rights to sell all of Francis Seymour Haden's remaining prints upon his death, noted on the front of his catalogue in July 1911: "It may be useful to add that those impressions of Sir Seymour Haden's early and rare etchings, which were published in portfolio form in Paris in 1865-66, under the title Études à l'eau-forte have, with the exception of one or two sets, never been signed in autograph by Sir Seymour, and do not, of course, bear any stamp of any kind." Although Gutekunst had impressions of the majority of Haden's works for sale, he had no remaining impressions of Mytton Hall.
Henry Taylor, in Old halls in Lancashire and Cheshire, writes: MYTTON HALL is situated in the midst of charming scenery, near the confluence of the rivers Hodder, Calder, and Ribble. The district is not merely interesting to the artist, but also in an especial degree to the antiquary. We have close at hand the fine old church of Mytton containing the beautiful tombs of the Sherburnes, Stonyhurst, their ancestral residence, and Whalley Abbey.
In Whitaker's "History of Whalley" is given a picture of the interior of the great hall of Mytton, which is here the chief feature of interest, dating apparently from about the time of Henry VII. This apartment is thirtythree feet long and twenty-four feet wide, and has a fine open-timbered roof. The minstrels' gallery is a prominent feature, but was clearly an afterthought and put up in Jacobean times. At some still later period this gallery has been carried along one side of the room, and over the recess which, as at Samlesbury, formerly contained the high table and canopy (see Plate XXIV.). This mutilation of an interesting archaeological feature is greatly to be regretted, though sufficient evidence exists for its complete restoration. The history of the various families who have owned Mytton Hall is given at length in Whitaker's " History of Whalley," from which we learn that the manor was first granted by Robert de Lacy, in the third year of Henry I., to Ralph le Rous, progenitor of the family who were afterwards denominated from the place. It was afterwards in the possession of the Pontchardons, and in the seventh year of Edward II. was given to Richard Cateral, who married Lora de Pontchardon.
Allinson Gallery Index.
British Fine Prints.
To order, to report broken links or to be placed on the email list, please contact Jane Allinson (email@example.com), call (001) 860 429 2322 or fax (001) 860 429 2825. Business hours are 9:A.M. to 5 P.M. Eastern Standard Time.
Please click here to review the USE AND ACCEPTANCE AND PRIVACY POLICIES FOR THE ALLINSON GALLERY, INC. WEBSITE
Thank you for visiting this website.