ARTIST HUARD’S DOCUMENTATION OF THE BATTLE FRONT OF FRANCE, 1916, COMPLETE WITH 20 LARGE LITHOGRAPHS EACH SIGNED IN PENCIL
HUARD, Charles. War Sketches. [New York: Wood, 1916]. Slim folio, original dark gray paper portfolio containing 20 original lithographs, each printed on cream wove paper, mounted on cardstock along the top margin, title page and prospectus laid in, original slipcase. $1,600.
Signed limited first edition, of only 300 copies of this collection of 20 large lithographs “drawn from life on the battle front of France,” each signed and numbered in pencil by Charles Huard, “one of the official painters attached to the historical section of the Musée de l’Armée.”
1. The Old Bridge at Meaux. Sept., 1914.
2. Refugees on the Road between Chateau-Thierry and Mont Montmirail. Sept., 1914.
3. La Trétoire on the Petit Morin. Sept., 1914.
4. An Arabian Chief. Oct., 1914.
5. Prisoners in Flanders. Road to Ramscapelle. Nov., 1914.
6. Algerian Spahis in Artois. Nov., 1914. Spahis" were a member of a body of native Algerian cavalrymen in the French armed forces. They were disbanded after Algerian War of Independence which began in 1954 and ended in 1962; ending more than 130 years of French colonial rule over Algeria.
7. Battery on a Road in Artois. Dec., 1914.
8. Trench in the Snow. Artois, Dec. 1914.
9. On the Way to the Trenches. Perryse, Dec., 1914.
10. Belgian Street Sentries at Nieuport. Dec., 1914.
11. A Street at Nieuport. Dec., 1914.
12. Types in the British Camp. Dec., 1914.
13. Observation Post near the Aisne. Jan., 1915.
14. Dawn in the Trenches near Berry au Bac. Jan., 1915.
15. Bouffignereux Woods. Feb., 1915.
16. 'Un Poilu' on the Road from Soissons to Venizel. Jan., 1915.
War.Continental Fine Prints.
Allinson Gallery Index.
To order, to report broken links or to be placed on the mailing list, please contact Jane Allinson. (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (860) 429-2825.