Moravian Home for Old Ladies. c. 1919. Pencil drawing. 6 1/2 x 8 1/8. Unsigned; titled 'Moravian Home for Old Ladies' lower right. $500.
Currently the building is in use at the Priscilla Payne Hurd Campus of the Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
The Moravian Bell House, erected in 1745, was used first as the Family House. It was used as the Girls' School in 1746-1791. The Bethlehem Female Seminary, which was founded in 1742 in Germantown, Pennsylvania, as the first school for young women in the U.S. The seminary was created by the sixteen-year-old Benigna, Countess von Zinzendorf, the daughter of Count Nikolaus Ludwig Zinzendorf, who was the benefactor of the fledgling Moravian communities in Nazareth and Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The Female Seminary was incorporated by the Pennsylvania State Legislature in 1863 and became the woman's college, the Moravian Seminary and College for Women in 1913.
The bell, still in use, was cast in Bethlehem. The turret had first town clock, 1746.
Allinson Gallery Index.
American Fine Prints.
To order or to be placed on the email list, please contact Jane Allinson (email@example.com) or send a fax to (860) 429 2825.